Appointed by an order of the Illinois Supreme Court, I took the oath of office on November 27, 2017 to temporarily fill a vacancy on the Circuit Court of Cook County. I am truly humbled to be the first male Latino appointed to a county-wide judicial vacancy. The election will determine whether I can keep this honorable position.
I am a strong judicial candidate with a broad range of legal skills. Licensed since 1994, I have 23 years legal experience practicing in a variety of legal fields – criminal, civil, and administrative matters. In my first eight years out of law school, I represented underprivileged citizens in their hours of greatest need as an Assistant Public Defender. I worked my way up the seniority ranks of that office in various divisions. For the last 15 years, I have had private practice experience, focusing mostly on criminal defense but also helping clients with employment, immigration and other civil issues. Through these two positions, I have tried 10 criminal jury trials and over 500 criminal bench trials in my career. In addition to representing clients, I also served as a part-time Administrative Law Judge from 2003 to 2012 for the Illinois Department of Employment Security (the agency that decides unemployment claims). The experience and training that I received in that position has further helped prepare me for the bench.
I believe that serving as a judge is a very important community service. It is a position that should be filled by qualified, experienced, impartial people who can also effectively manage a busy courtroom such that all participants are fairly treated with respect and justice. My career goal has been to be such a judge, and I have been trying to prepare myself for this responsibility.
CHICAGO TRIBUNE NEWSPAPER
SLATED AS AN ENDORSED CANDIDATE BY:
* THE COOK COUNTY DEMOCRATIC PARTY
* CHICAGO FEDERATION OF LABOR
* CHICAGO NATIONAL ORGANIZATION OF WOMEN "NOW" PAC
* PERSONAL PAC
* THE CHICAGO LATINO PUBLIC AFFAIRS COMMITTEE
* THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF OAK PARK
* THE 47th WARD REGULAR DEMOCRATIC ORGANIZATION
* THE 45th WARD INDEPENDENT DEMOCRATS
* NEW TRIER DEMOCRATS
* DEMOCRATS OF NORTHFIELD TOWNSHIP
* AMERICAN MIDDLE EAST VOTERS ALLIANCE - AMVOTE PAC
* THE ADVOCATES SOCIETY
* CHICAGO FIRE FIGHTERS UNION
* POLISH AMERICAN POLICE ASSOCIATION
* CHICAGO LABORERS' DISTRICT COUNCIL (LiUNA!)
* INDO-AMERICAN DEMOCRATIC ORGANIZATION
* 24TH WARD DEMOCRATIC ORGANIZATION
* THE BLOOM TOWNSHIP DEMOCRATIC ORGANIZATION
* THE 41ST WARD REGULAR DEMOCRATIC ORGANIZATION
* THE 39TH WARD DEMOCRATIC ORGANIZATION
ALSO ENDORSED BY THE FOLLOWING INDIVIDUAL LEADERS:
Illinois Secretary of State, Jesse White
Illinois State Senator Don Harmon, Oak Park Committeeman
Illinois State Representative Luis Arroyo, 36th Ward Committeeman
Alderman Edward Burke, 14th Ward Committeeman
Cook County Board of Review Commissioner, Larry Rogers, Jr.
Cook County Assessor Joe Berrios, 31st Ward Committeman
Committeeman Frank Zuccarelli, Thornton Township
Committeeman Tim Bradford, Rich Township
Committeeman Paul Rosenfeld, 47th Ward
Committeeman Tim Heneghan, 41st Ward
Committeeman Robert Murphy, 39th Ward
Committeeman Matt Flamm, Palatine Township
Committeeman Terry L. Matthews, Bloom Township
Alderman Tom Tunney, 44th Ward
Alderman John Arena, 45th Ward Committeeman
Alderman James Cappleman, 46th Ward Committeeman
Alderman Michelle Harris, 8th Ward Committeewoman
Alderman Ariel Reyboyas, 30th Ward Committeeman
Alderman Carlos Ramierez-Rosa, 35th Ward Committeeman
Alderman Michael Scott, Jr., 24th Ward Committeeman
Alderman Nicholas Sposato, 38th Ward Committeeman
Berwyn Mayor Robert Lovero, Committeeman Berwyn Township
Franklin Park Mayor Barrett Pedersen, Committeeman Leyden Township
Recorder of Deeds Karen Yarbrough, Committeewoman Proviso Township
Oak Park Mayor Anan Abu-Taleb
I am a first generation Cuban, and the first of my family go to college. I earned a full scholarship to the University of Michigan, where I met my wife, Dawn M. Gonzalez. We married in 1991, right before we both started law school. We have two wonderful sons, who are both attending Oak Park River Forest High School and are excited to work on this campaign
Community service runs in the family. My wife was the 2004-2005 President of the Women’s Bar Association of Illinois and has served with numerous bar and civic organizations. I too have been deeply committed to volunteer service throughout my career, through the following activities in the Illinois bar and my local community:
• 14th Ward Volunteer Legal Clinic, President, founded in March 2005
• Volunteer, Democratic Party of Oak Park, 2010 to present
• Illinois Judges Assoc. Foundation, Lawyers’ Auxiliary Board, 2011 to present
• Illinois Assoc. of Administrative Law Judges, Board Member 2006 to 2007, Secretary 2009 to 2012
• WILPower PAC, Board Member 2005 to 2010, Secretary 2009; Vice-Chair 2010
• Women’s Bar Assoc. Illinois, Member Judicial Eval. Com., 1999 to 2007
• Puerto Rican Bar Assoc., Member Judicial Eval. Com., 2003 to 2007
• Madison Street Theatre, Oak Park, IL, Board Member 2011 to present, President 2015 to present
• Oak Park Residence Corporation, Board Member 2013 to present
• Holmes Elementary School, Oak Park, PTO, Vice President of Academic Affairs, 2007 to 2011
Hosted by IL State Representative Robert Martwick. Judge Peter Michael Gonzalez's interview is at the 15.0 minute to 21.3 minute mark. Remember to VOTE and punch 145!
PROVIDE YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS TO RECEIVE UPDATES FROM THE COMMITTEE REGARDING UPCOMING EVENTS AND NEWS ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN .
If you provide your address in the message section we will deliver a sign to you.
Hosting an event in your home or place of business is one of the best ways to help the Committee spread the word about the campaign. Please let us know if this is something you can help with and we can start discussing details.
Let us know if you can volunteer to help on Election Day, Tuesday, March 20th by passing out campign literature at a polling place.